Sunday, April 7, 2013

First Match...Huzzah!

What a difference a week makes in the midwest.  After having the season-opener postponed last weekend by 12 inches of snow, we finally had our first match under partly cloudy skies (and somewhat blustery winds) on Saturday.  How blustery were the winds?:

Tell me the truth, how's my hair look?

It was quite an eventful day actually.  The truck driver delivering my furniture was supposed to deliver on Friday morning (at his request, by the way) but called Thursday evening to say he wouldn't be there until Saturday.  Hey, man, no problem...we only had our Saturday all planned out with no time for a household goods shipment, but since you have my stuff and I need it, I guess I'm at your mercy.  Then, when said truck driver (who shall remain nameless *cough* Marshall *cough*) showed up at 8 am Saturday morning, her showed up alone...solo...all by his lonesome...to unload my stuff.  So...having just two hours before I needed to get to the game, guess who became a mover for the day?  We got everything off the truck just in time for me to change and jog over to the park for the 11 am first pitch.

The 2013 St. Louis Perfectos

We were short a few players for the opener, so despite having just spent two hours off-loading furniture and lugging it up a flight of stairs, I was ready to go.  As with the culture of the game in the 19th century, all of us play under nicknames.  The Perfectos were represented this day by: Pitchfork, Molasses, Cyclone, Hammer, Chatterbox, Hands, Stoney, Walnuts, Mute, King, and (yours truly) Dixie.  Our opponents for the double-header were long-time crosstown rivals, the Saint Louis Unions.

Scorekeepers desk and bell

In those days the home team did not automatically bat last, but a coin toss determined the team which would choose when to bat.  In the first game, the Unions would bat last despite playing on our home field.

The Unions bat in the bottom of the first against Perfectos
hurler  "King"

The Unions monstrous first baseman "Mayhem" steps in
against "King" with men on second and third and just
"one hand down" (one out).

"Mayhem" plates "Noodles" with the first "Ace" of the match.

The Unions drew first blood in the match as their first baseman "Mayhem" drove a ball deep to rightfield which was caught for an out (or hand down) but plated "Noodles" from third on a sacrifice fly.  The most important aspect of statistics back then was "making your ace" (scoring a run).  The premium was placed on the player that scored, rather than the player that drove in the run.  So, in the box score, Noodles would get credit for scoring the run but Mayhem would get no credit since he made an out.  When you scored you went over to the ring the bell next the scorekeepers desk to ensure the scorekeeper tallied the run and to let the fans (or "cranks" as they were called) know a tally had been registered.

The Unions ring the bell first

Lafayette Park: "Where Base Ball Began In St. Louis"

*Note the flag in the photo above, which was a version of the US Flag used between 1859 - 1861.

The Unions would lead for most of the first game, and would take a 4-2 lead into the top of the seventh inning, but we broke through for three aces in the seventh and then held the Unions scoreless to take the first game 5-4.  I rotated at first base with "Cyclone" in the first game, and had one hit in two times to the plate but did not score any runs.

Playing first base in game 1 where I had several put-outs.
Note the lack of a glove.

In the second game I played rightfield and again had several put-outs but I also had one "muff" as I took a fly ball off the middle finger of my right hand.  We played to a scoreless draw through five innings of the second game, but my muff led to an ace for the Unions who then went on to win the second game 4-0.

I had 3 hits in 5 at-bats on the day but
did not score a single ace.

I did have some success batting in the second game, adding two more hits.  In my last at bat I drove a ball deep into the alley between left and center field which should have resulted in at least a double.  However, the first base bag, which were not secured to the field back then, slid out from under me as I rounded first and I nearly tumbled to the ground.  Sheepishly I retreated to first base rather than get thrown out at second and look even more like a "green-horn."

At the end of the match, the team's gather on the base line and each captain addresses the cranks, thanking them for attending and providing a short synopsis of the match.  Each player also introduces themselves to the crowd and each team cheers their opponent.

The aptly nicknamed "Chatterbox" addresses the cranks
after the match.

I had a great time playing; part athletic endeavor and part theatrical performance.  I can't wait for more!

Requisite injury photo...
jammed middle finger.
Dixie





1 comment:

  1. Hip! Hip! Huzzah!

    Great storytelling--can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete